Allen Bernard West is a war hero and a former member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Florida's 22nd Congressional District.
Allen West was born in Atlanta, Georgia in 1961. His father had served in World War 2 and his brother served in Vietnam. Allen joined the United States Army in 1983 after he graduated from the University of Tennessee with a Bachelor's Degree in political science. In 1986 he graduated from Kansas State University with a Master's Degree in political science. He served during Operation Desert Shield and Operation Desert Storm. After this he worked as an ROTC instructor at Kansas State University. He then attended U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, where he obtained a master of military arts and sciences degree. While serving in Taji, Iraq, West came into controversy for his interrogation methods on Yahya Hamoodi and was charged with violating articles 128 and 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. West was fined 5,000 dollars as a result. He retired in 2004 at the rank of Lieutenant.
West ran for Congress in 2008 and lost to incumbent Ron Klein. He managed to win in 2010 and became a member of the House of Representatives. He is the first black republican elected to Congress in Florida since 1876.
West unfortunately lost his 2012 reelection bid to Democrat Patrick Murphy.
West is blunt and speaks the truth (actually what pleases his crowd) even when it may hurt him politically.
Political Positions and Stances Edit
- All federal funding for abortion should be prohibited.
- De-fund Planned Parenthood
American Culture and Values Edit
- West holds strong, Conservative family values
- Respects our troops greatly, a veteran himself.
- Terminate the Home Affordable mortgage problem
- Proposed balanced budget amendment
- Cut-cap-balance the budget.
- Tax code relates to American Exceptionalism
- Eliminate the Estate tax
- Signed the Taxpayer Protection Pledge 
- The DC opportunity scholarship program works well.
Energy and Oil Edit
- Invest in oil, natural gas, clean coal, and alternatives.
- Open Outer Continental Shelf to oil drilling.
- Require 80% fuel-choice vehicles by 2018. 
Foreign Policy Edit
- The U.S. should withhold on funding the U.N.
Global Warming and Environment Edit
- Stop considering manure as hazardous. 
Government Roles Edit
- Co-sponsored STOCK Act
- Stock trading, based on Congressional insider knowledge, should be stopped.
- The President must not conduct a recess appointment without Congressional approval.
Health Care Edit
- Voted "Yes" on Ryan Budget and repealing the "Prevention and Public Health" slush fund.
- No public option for health insurance.
- Obamacare kills jobs and should be repealed.
- We already have laws. Time to enforce them.
- Birthright citizenship should exclude illegals.
National Security Edit
- The growth of our armed forces is essential for American exceptionalism.
- Voted "Yes" on PATRIOT Act's roving wiretaps.
Same Sex Marriage Edit
- President Obama could lose some black voters due to his endorsement of gay marriage.
Second Amendment Rights Edit
- We should loosen gun restrictions.
- 22 years of Army service
- Reached rank of Lieutenant Colonel
- Commanded 2d Battalion 20th Field Artillery nicknamed "Deep Strike", 4th Infantry Division
- Bronze Star
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Army Commendation Medal
- Army Achievement Medal
"I think that if we get back to some basic fundamental principles, we can make sure that we resolve the issues. And I think that that's what the Tea Party was all about. It's getting back to a constitutional conservative government. And that is limited, but it's also effective and efficient. I think that that's what we'll be able to do."
"One of the critical issues that we have to confront is illegal immigration, because this is a multi-headed Hydra that affects our economy, our health care, our health care, our education systems, our national security, and also our local criminality."
"Our purpose is to be up here to resolve these issues. Our purpose is to be up here and represent the people."
"This is what America is about when it comes to understanding that it is equal opportunity versus equal achievement. Each and every one of us has the opportunity for greatness in this country."
See Also Edit
- ↑ West on Abortion
- ↑ West on Budget
- ↑ West on Taxes
- ↑ West on Education
- ↑ West on Energy
- ↑ West on Foreign Policy
- ↑ West on Environment
- ↑ West on Government Roles
- ↑ [http://ontheissues.org/FL/Allen_West_Health_Care.htmWest on Health Care
- ↑ West on Immigration
- ↑ West on Same Sex Marriage
- ↑ West on the Second Amendment