Yesterday, Senator Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) sent a tweet to his supporters asking them to contact their local Congressmen and ask them to help pass a Balanced Budget Amendment in the U.S. Congress. Once proposed by House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Virginia), this amendment to the Constitution of the United States would legally force the current and all future Congresses to:
- Pass only balanced budgets to be signed by the President
- Keep Federal spending under control
- Keep the fiscal house of Washington D.C. in order
- Spend no more than what the government takes in through revenues
- Requires a balance between predicted receipts and government expenditure
For the reasons outline above, this amendment would be beneficial to both the federal government and the people of the United States. Every state in the nation with the exception of Vermont, our most liberal state, has passed some form of balanced budget amendment. Countless mayors and county governments have also taken on the issue with their own legislatures.
Please, if you care about the future of this country, call your Congressman and tell him/her to vote help pass this amendment.